About Me

My photo
I live in the beautiful city of Portland, Oregon. I am a work at home mom and meeting planner, who loves what I do in every way. I think I get the best of both worlds; a little travel and some home time with my little chicklets. In my spare time I enjoy hosting parties, art, cooking, crafting, re-doing furniture, wogging, tennis and shopping. I am going through a journey that I wanted to share. I hope in some small way it helps you.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Valentines Day Cupcakes

Aren't those just the cutest cupcakes you have ever seen?!  I think so, but I got to eat them so that make them that much cuter.  I saw a version of this cupcake on Pinterest and HAD to make them.  And therefore, I just must share them with you!


This is the good part revealed...half cake, half brownie equals all delicious with some frosting on top!

It just gets better and better, right!  If only the next picture was of you eating it...
Cherry Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
Serves 24...ish
This recipe was adapted from this one and I think it would be fabulous as is, especially with PB frosting!
Ingredients
1 (19.5 ounce) package brownie mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup water
1 (18.25 ounce) package cherry chip or strawberry cake mix
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/3 cups water
3 egg whites

Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 48 muffin cups with paper liners.
  2. Whisk together the brownie mix, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup canola oil, and 1/4 cup water in a bowl. Stir just until fully incorporated, about 50 strokes; set aside.
  3. Mix the cake mix, 2 tablespoons canola oil, 1 1/3 cup water, and 3 egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
  4. Spoon the brownie batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each cup 1/3 full (maybe a little less) . Spoon the cake batter over the brownie batter, until muffin cups are each 2/3 full.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 to 25 minutes.               

Now I am kind of a frosting snob.  Some would say I like the wrong type of frosting.  I like the super sweet yummy kind of frosting that well I don't know how to describe.  Except I could eat it alone..and then be sick.  But I would it is that good to me.  At first I made a fancy smancy Tom Douglas (famous chef from Seattle) white chocolate buttercream frosting.  It took me forever and I hated it, so I went with my good old stand by frosting that I learned about in my Wilton cake class.  I personally love this frosting.  But I think frosting is a very personal choice.  So please feel free to make your own favorite frosting for this cupcake.

Wilton Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 tsp. vanilla extract (make sure you use clear if you want white frosting)
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp butter extract
7-8 teaspoons milk or water
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon Meringue Powder (Micheal's has this)
pinch of salt (optional)

Directions:
In case of egg allergies, meringue powder may be eliminated.
Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy

No comments:

Post a Comment