About Me

My photo
I live in the beautiful city of Portland, Oregon. I am a work at home mom and meeting planner, who loves what I do in every way. I think I get the best of both worlds; a little travel and some home time with my little chicklets. In my spare time I enjoy hosting parties, art, cooking, crafting, re-doing furniture, wogging, tennis and shopping. I am going through a journey that I wanted to share. I hope in some small way it helps you.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Yummiest Mac and Cheese ever!

It's winter here in Portland, we even had some snow last week.  It makes me want to curl up, with a warm blanket and a big bowl of comfort food.  In my opinion Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food.I get asked for this recipe more than any other.  And I just cannot take the credit any longer!  I must share the wealth of this most delicious recipe.

Look at that yummy cheesy goodness...It tastes as good as it looks!

Warning!  This is not a low fat recipe. Yum!

Macaroni and Cheese
20 Servings (That's if they just have one!)

For topping
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 cups panko, bread crumbs or saltines
1/4 pound coarsely grated extra sharp cheddar (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

For macaroni and sauce
1 stick unsalted butter
6 Tbls all purpose flour
5 cups whole milk
1 pound coarsely grated sharp cheddar (6 cups)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 pound Rigatoni (penne or elbow macaroni would work too)

Make topping:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in middle
Melt butter, then stir together with panko and topping cheeses in a bowl until combined well.

Make sauce:
Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in flour.  Cook roux, stirring 3 minutes, then whisk in milk.  Bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly, then simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 minutes.  Stir in cheeses, 2 tablespoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until smooth.  Remove from heat and cover surface of sauce with wax paper.

Make macaroni:
Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente.  Reserve 1 cup cooking water and drain macaroni in a colander.  Stir together macaroni, reserved cooking water and sauce in large bowl.  Transfer to a 10x13 casserole dish.

Sprinkle topping evenly over macaroni and bake until golden and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love homemade mac and cheese, but haven't been loving my current recipe. Will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete