About Me

My photo
I live in the beautiful city of Portland, Oregon. I am a work at home mom and meeting planner, who loves what I do in every way. I think I get the best of both worlds; a little travel and some home time with my little chicklets. In my spare time I enjoy hosting parties, art, cooking, crafting, re-doing furniture, wogging, tennis and shopping. I am going through a journey that I wanted to share. I hope in some small way it helps you.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How to make Scrabble Tile Coasters

I have a friend up in Seattle that is a Scrabble queen!  I mean I don't even try to play her.  I would for fun, but I would end up just feeling humiliated because she would kick my butt win by a lot.  So I save myself the time and we do other stuff together, like shopping (which I excel at) and eating (I also am very good in this area).   We are pretty close friends as we used to share an office when I worked at the Grand Hyatt Seattle.  We also used to travel all over the world together and try to find hot dates for each other, this was of course before I got married and had a kid.  Needless to say, I know her pretty well.  So well that I knew if I could not find her the perfect present for her birthday that it would probably end up re-gifted or in her guest room closet (and eventually purged), because she likes a clutter free home.  On I went searching for the perfect gift.  I knew she would love this present that I saw on Etsy.  I had to figure out how to make them, but in the end it was pretty easy so I thought I would share.


Items you need for 4 coasters:
Masking tape
Cork (I bought a roll of it at Micheal's)
E6000 or I suppose a glue gun would work
16 Scrabble tiles per coaster (so 64 total, any thrift store would have Scrabble games)


First I arranged the tiles how I wanted them.  I was going to arrange the letters into words, but do you remember the part about how I suck a scrabble.  I thought it would drive her crazy if I did not get words across and down.  I opted to go random.  And I asked her after I gave it to her and she agreed, she liked it random.  I used masking tap to secure the positions of the tiles.


I measured the cork to be about 1/4 inch smaller then the edge of the full 16 tile square.  I cut the squares out and then rounded the corners.

I turned the tiles over and put the glue on.  If you use hot glue you will have to work fast.  Then put the cork square on the tile square.  Wait until it dries and then take off the tape.

Aren't they cute!  Do you have anyone that loves Scrabble?  These are the perfect gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment