About Me

My photo
I live in the beautiful city of Portland, Oregon. I am a work at home mom and meeting planner, who loves what I do in every way. I think I get the best of both worlds; a little travel and some home time with my little chicklets. In my spare time I enjoy hosting parties, art, cooking, crafting, re-doing furniture, wogging, tennis and shopping. I am going through a journey that I wanted to share. I hope in some small way it helps you.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Boo Blocks...Tutorial

I have been hunting around for a cute Halloween decoration to go with my bats and subway art.  You can spell "BOO" or "EEK".  These turned out way cuter than I thought they would be!

You will need:
  • (3) blocks 2x6 cut into 6, 7, and 8 inch tall pieces.
  • Black Paint (or orange or white)
  • Wood letters ("BOO" or "EEK", I got mine at Michael's)
  • Glitter craft paint or you can use glitter and glue (orange, black or silver)
  • Paint for your letters (if you want orange glittery letters, paint an orange base first then the orange glitter paint)
  • Halloween scrapbook paper (3 different designs)
  • Mod Podge
  • Wood glue
  • Ribbon (at least 4 yards)
  • Sand Paper or power sander
  • Optional: If you paint your blocks white or orange you can distress with an ink pad or stain

Cut a 2x6 into three pieces 6, 7 and 8 inches tall. You will have left over wood. Sand edges if needed.  Paint them black.  You don't have to paint the bottom or all of the front, just most of it.  Distress wood if you want to with sand paper.

Choose your scrapbook paper and cut to fit front of blocks.  I cut my paper about a 1/2 inch smaller on each side than my wood.  Then paint your letters.  Painting a base color before you paint on your craft glitter or glitter and glue.  This will make it so you don't see the bare wood.

Mod Podge your paper to your wood.  Use a credit card or squeegee to smooth it out.  Then glue your letters to the front of the block.  Let dry at least 30-60 minutes before you put your ribbon on.

Wrap your ribbon around the edge from the bottom up. Tie a knot tightly.  If you want to do a bow, just tie a knot first then the bow.  I used an orange glitter ribbon from Michael's.

Enjoy your spooky blocks! 
Happy Halloween!!

  Linking up over at...               
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment