About Me

My photo
I live in the beautiful city of Portland, Oregon. I am a work at home mom and meeting planner, who loves what I do in every way. I think I get the best of both worlds; a little travel and some home time with my little chicklets. In my spare time I enjoy hosting parties, art, cooking, crafting, re-doing furniture, wogging, tennis and shopping. I am going through a journey that I wanted to share. I hope in some small way it helps you.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Easy DIY Shutter project

Recently I did a make-over of my mother-in-laws new apartment.  A little house on the river is what I like to call it.  She had some very good basics for our foundation, like this headboard (which I would secretly would like to get my hands on to paint and distress).  She just needed a some pop!

On a budget of course I headed over to the ReStore.  A great inexpensive resource for any home building project.  I personally like to get paint there, check out the furniture, knobs, and doors.  On this particular trip I was looking for a shutter made out of real wood.  Found one!



I dusted off the cobwebs and old leaves with a broom. And put my sander to it, just to smooth it down really. I knew this did not have to be perfect in fact I wanted it to look worn.  


Then I painted it with this lovely green oops paint and my paint sprayer.  After it dried, I put on just one coat of poly. I use Minwax water based.  Since it would be hanging on a wall, one coat would do. If it were a heavy use piece I would have put several coats on to get a good seal.   I found this wreath a garage sale and wha-la! 


Cost of project: Shutter $3, Paint $2, Wreath $4

Happy Crafting,
Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment